Monday, October 01, 2007

Curiouser and Curiouser


"Conservative Christians will throw down the gauntlet to the Archbishop of Canterbury this week by demanding that he openly disowns the American church over gay bishops, " reports today's London Telegraph while the San Francisco Chronicle headline is Presiding U.S. Episcopal bishop affirms same-sex unions.

Excuse me??? Then what exactly happened in New Orleans? I thought a deal had been struck -- a compromise had been brokered -- to keep the American Church in the Anglican Communion by "being clear" about where the church "is" on the issue of gay and lesbian inclusion. At least that's what I thought had been "bought" when our relationships and vocations were bartered away. So much for "clarity." I'm not any clearer ... are you????

There's apocryphal story about a matron who visited the Mt. Calvary Monastery in Santa Barbara. After a tour of the house and grounds, she is reputed to have said, "If this is poverty, I can't wait to see chastity!!!!!"

If what we got out of the House of Bishops is clarity, I can't wait to see integrity.
.
Or maybe I can.

1 comment:

RonF said...

... to keep the American Church in the Anglican Communion by "being clear" about where the church "is" on the issue of gay and lesbian inclusion.

Because the request of the majority of the rest of the Anglican Communion wasn't for TEC to be clear about where it was on the issue of gay and lesbians. TEC has been quite clear on that. What the rest of the Anglican Communion has asked - and I think they've been quite clear on it - has been for TEC to repent of where it is and to change.

Frankly, I don't understand why either you or the HoB should be confused about that.