Friday, April 10, 2009

Stations of the Cross

It is Good Friday morning and I'm taking a break from doing the final edit thing on my sermon for this afternoon. At All Saints Church we will -- as will many of you -- be in church from noon til 3:00 as we observe the solemn "way of the cross" ... the journey to Golgotha ... once again.

In preparation for that observance -- or in lieu of it if you're desk-bound today -- I highly recommend a visit to Kathrin Burleson's Stations of the Cross: "The Soul's Journey: A Mystical Approach to the Stations of the Cross" -- for a beautifully moving journey along the Way of the Cross. (Thanks to Episcopal Cafe for the "lead!") A sample below:

Station I
Jesus Prays in the Garden of Gethsemane


He came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples followed him. When he reached the place, he said to them, 'Pray that you may not come into the time of trial.' Then he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, knelt down, and prayed, 'Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done.' Then an angel from heaven appeared to him and gave him strength. In his anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground. — Luke 22

Divine Protector, send your holy angels to watch over me. Strengthen me in times of darkness, and open my eyes that I may always be aware of your loving presence.

1 comment:

Rev. David Justin Lynch said...

This is s different version of the Stations. The Stations themselves are different. I'm used to the tradtional 14, but this liturgy was very imaginative and well thought out.